16 October 2012

9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.

1. My dad. He's a very strong person, physically and in character. He wanted to be an artist, but for practicality, he went for carpentry instead. He says it's still artistic, building things. Designing things. But I know it's a sacrifice he made so that my brother and I might be able to choose something other than hard labor. He's very good with people. Always knows just the right things to say to make most everyone like him, even if he doesn't like them. He knows how to motivate people.

2. My high school English and Economics teacher. Mr. P's classes were always riveting. He furthered my love of literature and introduced me to The Power of One, one of my favorite books. Even in Economics, a subject that isn't particularly easy, he pushed me to excel. He was also extremely outdoorsy. He hiked and climbed and biked and everything. He was inspiring.

3-5 Several professors in college. They made learning worthwhile. (I know, it's lazy not to actually list them.)

6. My brother. He made most of the mistakes before me, so I could make different ones. And not ones that are as detrimental.

7. Orson Scot Card. He's a writer. A good one, in my opinion. And no, I don't agree with his politics, but I very much like his stories and he inspires me to write similarly.

8. My very good friend who used to be my roommate and once my girlfriend. (I just don't like using names.) She is a very strong person who's dealt with a whole lot of adversity. She's also the kindest person I know.

9. Joss Whedon. His characters regardless of gender, age, race, sexuality are all strong and important and wonderfully written. I want to make characters like that.

10. All trans people. The ones that I aspire to be like and even the ones I disagree with. I've gained perspective and insight from each of them. 


EDIT: 10/19 I definitely forgot to as Mayra, the nurse in Mexico that I lived with for a month or so. She's incredibly dedicated and the most inspirational person I've ever met. I miss her. 


No comments: