21 August 2012

We Need to Talk about Kevin

I watched this movie some time ago and it's been on my mind off and on ever since. It was an extremely unsettling movie. Someone suggested I read the book before the movie was even made. I've decided that I will not be doing that ever.

Mostly, it just made me sad.

From IMDB: "Kevin's mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly vicious things he says and does as he grows up. But Kevin is just getting started, and his final act will be beyond anything anyone imagined."

Basically it follows Tilda Swinton's character as she deals with her son and his choices. All of the acting is amazing. It made me sad because I know that some of it is true. When young people do horrible things, often their parents are blamed. If not directly, at least socially. It happened after Columbine High School and I'm sure it's happening now for James Holmes' parents in California.

The film laid it out fairly well that Kevin was a bit off. Many people who commit atrocities do not show these signs. Most of their parents are actually unaware of anything, rather than unable to do anything.

Anyhow, I don't really suggest the film, but it was and still is something important to think about.

And it did end well, all in all.

4 comments:

Abby said...

This sounds really good and yet... another example of a story I would have difficulty reading or watching. Disturbing circumstances involving children are a bit of a deal breaker for me. Good ending?

Larz said...

Well, a good ending all things considered. Certainly an upturn from the tone of the whole film. But only at the very, very end.

Unknown said...

Assuming that James Holmes did commit this violent, terrible act (for which we the people have been given really NO evidence to indicate that he ISN'T being horribly drugged, brainwashed, and framed). Of course, regardless, this must be traumatic for the parents. But to-date they have made NO statements indicating that they experienced anything like what you just described... ie. knowing their son was troubled, etc. As far as I'm concerned you're just another one of the James Holmes "lynch mob." Guilty unless proved innocent. Thanks for destroying our society and humanity, you #&@)&$%@) jerk.

Larz said...

I actually said nothing at all about James Holmes except that I'm sure his parents are hurting. And I don't see how reviewing a film can destory humanity.