09 March 2016

I read a lot. But not as much as I used to. I could blame the internet. I could blame my job. Or aging. Or whatever. I don't know the reason. Probably all of those things. I get distracted more easily now. I can hardly sit through a movie let alone read for two hours.

But I remember summers as a kid. Before I had a job or any responsibilities, I would wake up at a decent time- 8 or 9- and read until noon. At least. And then after breakfast/lunch, I'd read more. And then after dinner and chores and hanging out with the family, I'd read more late into the night. We didn't have cable. I was only allowed to watch movies on weekends. We didn't have internet until I was a junior in high school, and then only dial up. My mom thought I was a depressed kid, with how much time I spent alone in my room. I don't think I was. Just introverted and enthralled with fiction. I routinely won awards in school for most books/pages read over the summer. I also supplemented my reading with writing. Never anything long, but I was fairly prolific.

Both reading and writing carried on into college. Even with easy internet access and homework, and social activities, I still managed to read nearly as much as previously. And I think I wrote even more. Biology class seemed to become a great muse.

But now, eight years out of college, I don't write anymore. And though I still read, it's at a very slow pace. In fact, many of the book I complete are audiobooks that I listen to at work.

This is appalling to me, and yet...

I always have a yearly book goal and this year with the help of Habitica, I have a daily reading goal as well. So far, I've read at least a few minutes each day for the past couple of months. It's been really nice. I still don't read as much, but I think even this small step is an improvement. One that will hopefully get me back to writing as well.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I think it's good to have reading goals, and I'm glad that my kids' schools have the students track such things. And you're right, there are many more distractions "these days", but I try to read a little bit of something good every day. Sometimes, the "something good" is a challenge. Good luck!