26 January 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild

I just watched Beasts of the Southern Wild. I recommend it. It's a bit hard, but mostly just hauntingly beautiful. It's an insight into a world not many people have seen.

I don't really know what to say about it other than that everyone should see it. It's what I'd call magical realism, having fantastical elements that don't detract from the truth of the story. It's always interesting to have some insight into a culture other than my own. And coming from a global studies and humanitarian perspective, it hit home in a very different way than many other similar movies have. In this film, the people do not want outside help. They don't feel connected to anyone but those in their community. They don't want to leave, they don't want anyone to come in. And that's hard to grasp from a humanitarian point of view. I just want to help everyone. I want to give everyone what they need. What was reinforced today is that some people don't want anything I have to offer. Some people don't need anything. They only want to be left alone. Something to think on.
 
Also the music compliments the film wonderfully, and the little girl deserves that Academy Award.

No comments: