30 November 2020

2020 rundown

What a year, right? Somehow I thought being in various states of lockdown would urge me to write some of my feelings. But I think I was too busy being stressed and playing video games to even go there. 

Work is the same as ever. We stopped transfers for a couple of months early on in the pandemic until we were able to open back up for surgeries and adoptions. When my job was moot, I helped out in admissions. There were as many animals as ever coming into the shelter. People losing homes or income. Strays. Same story. 

Last month I got rotator cuff repair surgery. That's put a huge damper on what I can actually do at work. Which is nothing. I can do some data entry and emailing and the like. No driving until the sling is off (6 weeks total). No animal handling. It's not a lot of fun. Especially since I'm also training a new co-worker and it's hard to tell her things I cannot show her. 

Oddly the silver lining of both the pandemic and the surgery is that my boyfriend didn't go to Thanksgiving with his family and I didn't work. We've just celebrated ten years together (mostly). And now we've just spent our very first Thanksgiving together. It was lovely. We roasted a whole turkey for the first time and it turned out well. Of course the best part is all the leftovers we're still enjoying. 

Due to pandemic restrictions on travel, we didn't leave the state this year, but we did go backpacking sever times. Saw some bears and other woodland creatures. Perfected packing for 3 nights. Ate food that only tastes good after hiking for hours with 30+ lbs on your back. 

So yeah, the year has been full of uncertainty, chaos and sadness, but there have been a few bright spots and that's what keeps us going. 

1 comment:

Abby said...

I've enjoyed vicariously backpacking with you via instagram :) this year.
My oldest is thinking about getting his rotator cuff repaired now since skiing is iffy. Makes sense.
Yes, this year has been sucky and stressful, but nice to see the silver linings!