12 November 2019

Up Schitt's Creek

It's been a long time since I've had this level of obsession for a show/movie/book etc. It used to happen to me all the time. I think it tapered off about 10 years ago, but I've found something new.

I'd been told to watch Schitt's Creek a couple time over the past few years it's been out. I've seen/heard it mentioned on Facebook on occasion. I looked at the premise and didn't think it sounded super interesting. I knew who Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara were, but *shrug*.

And then I started watching and it took exactly two episodes before I was hooked. Lots of shows take much longer than that. Sometimes when I recommend shows, I tell people to skip the whole first season. Not so with this one. It's delightfully funny! Not generally raunchy, and not cheap laughs. Very witty and quick dialogue. There are definitely some (purposefully) cringey moments of situational humor that just makes you want to crawl out of your skin in embarrassment for the character - but they are not the main fare.

The show starts off setting the stage, a family of former billionaires, now penniless living in a rundown rural motel. We get to laugh at them as they try to find their place in the town. So many other shows and movies show the dynamic flipped. We usually see the country folk coming to the big city and bumbling their way around. This change is refreshing.

All of the characters are likable. Even the annoying mayor grows on you over time. It's made very clear from the start that though the Rose's are spoiled and generally selfish, they are not bad people. It wasn't their fault they lost their wealth. The focus becomes the family dynamic and growing their relationships with each other.

Dan Levy, one of the stars and also the show-runner and writer, producer etc, also made a point to normalize queer relationships. His character is originally thought to be gay. Early on, this assumption is challenged and he is revealed to be pansexual. The town is incredibly accepting of his queerness and the creators made a deliberate choice not to allow homophobia to exist in the show. It's really a beautiful thing, especially later in the series.

I think this is the main reason I am so enthralled with the show. It's a basic sitcom. It's hysterical. The characters are compelling. And everything feels real and authentic and beautiful. And being queer is so okay, that it's barely even discussed.

My boyfriend is like a 12 year old when it comes to romance on TV and in movies. He groans and mutters and complains about romantic tension and kissing etc. He did not react that way to this show. To the queer relationships portrayed within. He was giddy with excitement. It's a great thing for us to share. It's lovely and important.

Nearly every other piece of media portraying LGBTQIA+ love is either tragic or a coming out story. I think both have a place, and have some importance, but I think we need to move past that. This show helps in such a huge way.

As I said, it's been a long time since I've had such a deep obsession for a piece of media. I think the last one was Firefly back in college. I was on message boards and I read and wrote heaps of fanfiction about it. Schitt's Creek is like that again, but more personal. I have what feels like a crush on the show itself if not at least one character within it. It's a strange feeling. It makes me want to write again, though I'm afraid to, as I've historically been bad at dialogue and comedy and that's the whole show.

Anyhow, I've kept this as spoiler-free as possible, to hopefully entice anyone who may ready my blog to go watch it immediately and then come talk to me about it because I'm dying to discuss it at length with anyone and everyone.


2 comments:

Abby said...

Coincidentally, I just started watching SC last weekend after trying some really "meh" shows. So fun!

Larz said...

Yesssss.