20 May 2012

I've been realizing more and more that I make a pretty awful roommate and friend, especially when I'm in a relationship. I don't know how to balance things and prioritize. I don't know how to do people. I would totally be one of those mountain man recluse types. Yet I do like people. I like to watch people and listen to people, I just don't know how to talk to them. I need to start being more deliberate about my interactions. Look at people. Have more than cursory conversations. Listen and hug and spend some real time. Seriously. I think having more time with other people may actually help my relationship as well. I think we are starting to drive one another crazy because of constant contact. Buuuut, as I'm notoriously terrible at first moves, I need people to call me out. This is my cry for help.

3 comments:

Aiden said...

Next day off? I am worse than you at that people thing.

Anonymous said...

i think you stated a universal truth about relationships. we all disappear. and i think its really hard for introverts to find that balance between close friendships and awkwardness. its something i've been trying to work on but i have a hard time putting myself in situations to be social, i would much rather sit in my living room and make crafty stuff.

Abby said...

I think a lot of us "suffer" with similar feelings. I grew up before the internet and social networks, texting, etc. We had to interact in person if at all. Now it's too easy to just read each others' facebook statuses.