09 September 2018

I've been sorta sedentary this summer. I figured that I trained for and then finished a 50k, why not take a bit of a break? I did not intend for it to last three months and counting. I did run a bit with my boyfriend as he trained for his half Ironman. I have done some recreational trail running for short distances. But I actually might need the nudge of an impending race to get me to really get back into gear.

It's also been hot out and I am very averse to spending much time in the heat, so I looked into other avenues of physical activity. I found a groupon for a very reasonable price for 10 classes at a kickboxing gym. Pretty cool stuff! I went for the first time about 3 weeks ago and it was really great. Nice atmosphere. Challenging, but fun workout. My arms were quite sore the evening after. Then, as I tried to sleep that night, my right arm kept having shooting pains. I didn't sleep at all that night. I called into work the next day and took myself to the doctor to see if I'd damaged something. The answer was sort of disappointing. Probably just a pulled/strained muscle. I was prescribed rest, a sling, ibuprofen and muscle relaxers for sleeping. I used the meds and the sling for about a week. I've been working on mobility, but the strength has not returned yet. I can only do about 5 pushups which is pretty sad as it's been my daily routine for years to do at least 25. I guess I'll have to hold off on the kickboxing class for a bit longer. In the meantime, at least it does't hurt to run.

I tried a new trail this week. An actually new trail, not only new to me. It is a trail that connects two Jefferson County Open Space parks and it's beautiful. A bit on the warm side still (foothills) but will be a great standby that's less than an hour's drive.

Anyhow, I guess I don't write very often these days. Nothing exciting going on.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Kickboxing, eh? Looks like fun, but the injury - not so much. The professionals make it look so easy. Heal up soon!
I'm looking forward to fall. These days, you have to get up pretty early to run when it's not swelteringly hot!