30 December 2014

Today I am mad at my (lack of proper) education. I don’t know why it’s bothering me so much right now, particularly. I was just thinking of the second episode of the new Cosmos show, where Neil Degrasse Tyson explains how eyes evolved. I remember being taught how evolution couldn’t possibly be real because eyes are so complex and perfect that they couldn’t gradually develop. Whoever first made that argument was full of shit and knew nothing about science. At first glance, it seems true. Muscles and lenses and all sorts of things in the eye that work together just so. And yet they aren’t perfect. Not at all actually. Eyes developed  under water, aiding ancestors in the fight for survival. Human eyes actually don’t work as well as fish eyes and the like. Interesting how science- if you just take time to learn- can change your perspectives on things.


I don’t believe that this specifically disproves the existence of God. I simply don’t think that science and religion are mutually exclusive. I think that Christianity (in particular) needs to be open to science. Refuting truths does not promote faith. Integrating your faith into proven facts promotes it much better.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I agree that science doesn't exclude the existence of God or evolution. In fact, I think the two go hand-in-hand. Nice that you're open minded.